Kaliya is a delicacy prepared in Kashmir on all occasions, especially on Shishur, a ceremony held in honor of a new bride or a newborn baby at the onset of winter in December. Serve hot with Paratha or white boiled rice.
Recipe Seyun Kaliya/Yellow Meat
Serving size: 3-4 people
- 1Lb or ½ kg of rib meat of goat/lamb
- 2 tsp. badiyan/fennel powder
- 1 tsp. shonth/ginger powder
- 1 tsp. safed zeur/zeera/white cumin seed
- Pinch of kreuhuan zeur/kala zeera/black cumin
- 3 clove/roung
- 1 tsp. lider/haldi/turmeric powder
- 2 crushed aal/green elaichi/cardamom
- 2 crushed bud aal/badi elaichi/black cardamom
- Pinch of yeng/heeng/asafetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups of water
- 2 tbsp. of milk
- 1 tbsp. of vegetable cooking oil
- Pour 2 cups water into a pressure cooker or cooking pan.
- Add meat, crushed white zeera, green elaichi,cbig black elaichi, dalchin, roung, pinch of heeng, shonth, badiyan and salt to water in pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook on high heat until first whistle or approx. 5 minutes. Then reduce to medium to low heat for another 10 minutes. Turn burner off and open the lid once pressure drops in cooker. Check for tenderness of meat.
- If cooking in pan, cook covered approx. 20-25 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Open the lid and add turmeric powder and milk.
- Cook kaliya for 3-4 minutes without cover.
- Heat oil with little white cumin and pinch of heeng and add to kaliya while hot.
- Crush with hands black zeera and sprinkle over kaliya.
- Cover with lid to retain flavor.